Thursday 10 May 2012

weapon of choice


Earlier today I posted the work in progress of miss flowery up here, and was asked on facebook about inking and inking materials.

When it comes to inking itself, there's little I can say here except... practice makes perfect and follow your gut-instinct? Well, that and watch the line. Watch it carefully and remember to play with the volume (the thickness/thinness ratio) in case you want to, well, have any volume in the drawing o.o

If you don't, then keep it all the same, great artists have worked that way all their lives, who am I to say otherwise?

(but if you want some volume, play with the line, dammit! play with it!)

I think the question also had to do with how to avoid stiff finished inks. 
In my case, I have very untidy and messy pencils, so half of the illu gets finished while inking, keeping the process very fun, instinctive and organic. But again, here follow your gut instinct, or whatever works best for you.

There are no rules here! :D Artistiiiiiiiiic anarchyyyyyyy! 


As for materials, I like them all. I do. The great quality ones, the not-so-good-but-hey-it-makes-that-awesome-scratch/wash/magick!, the old, the new, the ones that don't seem like drawing materials at all and the ones that make me stare at the art shop's window with glittery eyes full of longing. Anything that can be used to make thingies come to life on paper has my utter love.

But it's true that there are some materials I use more than others, so here are my current "used more often" weapons of choice, which are very traditional and easy to get o.o (minus ballpoint pens, because I forgot to add them for the piccie) :



These are the well-behaved ones. I am biased towards the kingdom of Rotring (.02, .04 and .06 are here), I know, but they are so pretty and useful and oooh *sigh of pure love*:



These are the wild-side ones. There are no kingdoms here, I think I found one of the pens at my grandparents' house, the other two are from these cheap "manga pens" sets I found at a wood shop. They came with lots of tips, so I find them pretty awesome. 

I am not very good at taking care of my brushes, except for two of the three here (the two black ones), which get special treatment because they are the ones I use more often. The third one I used today, so it got into the picture. And yes, that's my favourite correction fluid, because I like the triangular sponge it has instead of the usual brush:



There are times I mix and match everything, but these last few years I've been playing more with the "well-behaved" team (I do have a soft spot for the crisp finish you can get with rotring pens). 

Anyway, I hope this was useful :/ I doubt my "follow your guts!" way of working would be useful for a tutorial, but if anyone wants one I can put something together o.o

2 comments:

Ningun Records said...

rotring will never die!

me lleva a mis años de secundario tecnico y los planos y planos y planos...

derrewyn said...

Es que las rotring son lo user friendly! Son amables con la gente que hace planos, con los arquitectos, con los ilustradores, con los estudiantes... están llenas de amabilidad!